Friday 8 March 2019

DFI Day 2

Time to reflect and share with colleagues

What did I learn that increased my understanding of Manaiakalani kaupapa and pedagogy?

Today's focus was all about learn (Ako) from the Manaiakalani pedagogy, where we focused on effective teaching driving accelerated learning. We as teachers need to be able to recognise our effective practice, amplify it and turbo charge (RAT) in a digital environment.

R- Recognise

A - Amplify

T - Turbo Charge

What did I learn that could improve my confidence, capability or workflow as a professional?

Today I developed my skills and knowledge in GMail, Google Keep, Google Calendar and Hangout Chat. I can now send out GMails of events that the recipient can easily add to their Google Calendar or add and share a meeting for Hangout, where you can share your tabs while chatting with others online. 


What did I learn that could be used with my learners?  


We read some students Summer Learning Journey Blogs and this has really inspired me to consider using a blog for my students to share their learning with other students around New Zealand and the world. I set a date and time for a Hangout on Google Calendar, added the team members and from here we were able to join in a group chat. We discussed the Summer Learning Blog and recorded our conversation using Loom.

See the link for our Hangout discussion recorded by Loom:



Outline -  In Google Documents to view the contents of the page along the side of the document go to; view, show document outline. 

Bunny Ears - Two finger on the track pad to scroll up and down the page. 

Bunny ears tap - Two finger tap (right click)

Omni Box - URL Box where the web address sits

ctrl - shift - V - This is how we should always paste so our font formats correctly. 

Loom - Used to screen cast out Hangout group chat


What did I learn that could improve my confidence, capability or workflow in my personal life?



On Google Keep I was able to add collaborators to my lists so they could add and edit items, along with changing the colour of the notes and making a copy of the lists. On Google Calendar the M key links to month view, W key links to the week view, T links to today and A links to a list of the agenda.




3 comments:

  1. Hi Jazz,

    Nice work with the Group Discussion activity, your group was very on task. We took a bit longer to get started ;) I was glad to see the notes about 'Bunny Ear' tricks for kids on their devices - they make such a difference to workflow and device use.

    Maybe next week you could create a LOOM video to talk about your reflections? Would be good practise for using LOOM in the classroom as rewindable learning.

    See you next week for more great learning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kia ora Jazz,
    I'm glad the RAT acronym stuck with you. The idea and practice of turbocharing is powerful. I look forward to hearing about how the blogging with your learners works out. If you don't have a class blog as yet Cheryl can make you one with the necessary gadgets.
    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jazz, more great things you've taken away this week. Awesome work becoming familiar with Loom too. It has so many different possibilities for you and your learners!
    See you Friday
    Stef

    ReplyDelete