Friday 23 June 2023

Vocabulary Day 6 Reflection - RPI

I have learned that vocabulary really matters and since starting the RPI course I have started paying more attention to vocabulary and today highlighted again its importance. I learned that there is more to vocabulary than finding the dictionary meaning or synonyms for the words. Students should be able to put their new vocabulary into a sentence or be able to find examples of the word used incorrectly in a sentence. Language can express knowledge so knowing when to use formal and informal language in speaking and writing is important.

 

There were many Google Slide documents that I have taken a liking to so I have linked them to a new vocabulary folder that I will begin incorporating into my reading lessons. Others in our break out talked about how they use a 'word of the day' and have challenges throughout the day using these words. I thought these were great ideas and I too want to implement something like this to create a word-rich environment. Using this Word Power chart would be a step up from what we currently do for word work.

Reflecting on the way I currently teach new vocabulary, it is more of a 'rinse and repeat' type approach where I am not referring back to new vocabulary the following day to reinforce these new words. Students get reinforcement of these words with their follow-up activities but I do not think this enough exposure just writing the definition once or finding a synonym for the word. 

I want to have a go at using some vocabulary apps such as WordWall, Vocabulary.com and Quizlet. I am also interested in creating some vocabulary activities like the one below, although I need to look into this. So if you know how to use the drop down chips that would be super helpful. 

I learned about Rebus Puzzles. I have done these a few times but didn't know the name of them. I am not usually very good at these but I had fun finding the phrases for the kids ones. This could be a fun way to engage students.











 

2 comments:

  1. HI Jazz, Nice to see that you are finding the content useful and are already looking at ways to use this with your students. I really like the rebus puzzles too! A nice way to show student the morphology piece we talked about on Day 6. I haven't had much of a play with the smart chips or drop downs, but they are pretty straight forward once you have found them under the insert menu. Let me know how you get on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kia ora Jazz,
    Wow! You have sure given yourself lots of take aways form this session.
    If you are playing with Smart Chips and need help - yell out as we have done quite a bit with them.
    from Cheryl

    ReplyDelete